When we think of falafel we instantly think of chick peas. Did you know that you can make falafel with broad beans also? It is a delicious alternative.
The falafel in this recipe are oven roasted, the mixture is not appropriate for deep frying, the falafel are going to dissolve into the pan.
This dish is a great source of protein and is full of herbs. The taste is truly amazing, it is as fulfilling as a meat dish.
The final result will be very crunchy and a bit dry. It is very important to serve them with sauces. Any sauce will do, here they are presented with a yogurt sauce and a tomato sauce.
Rosé wines are an excellent match for falafel. Any rosé will be fine, this weekend I had enjoyed them with a Malbec rosé.
If you wish to taste this super healthy and super nutritious dish follow the instructions below.
Ingredients for 4 people (or 2 very hungry people) :
- 350 gr broad beans soaked in mineral water for 48 hours, skins removed
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 medium red onion roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds roasted and crushed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds roasted and crushed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- a pinch of paprika
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbs all purspose flour
- Place the beans, onions, garlic, and herbs in a food processor and mix them until the beans are chopped into small pieces. Do not over-mix, no need to create a paste. If your food processor is small, place the ingredients in small bunches.
- Put the mixture in a big bowl. Add the spices, baking soda, lemon juice, flour and salt.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Put a bit of sunflower in a pan.
- Create little patties with your dough and flatten them a bit, it will be easier to cook them in the oven this way.
- Place the pan in a preheated oven in 200 C. Cook for 15 minutes on one side. Then flip the patties over and cook 15 more minutes on the other side or until golden brown. Do not over cook, they will become very dry.
Your falafel are ready, enjoy 🙂