I love baking pizzas. When I am in Greece I take over the kitchen with my brother, we share the tasks from grating the cheese to kneading the dough and we bake big trays of pizza. My current oven is too small and I had prepared too much dough. I did not wish to spend my evening baking. The pizza bread was created in order to use a lot of pizza dough when there is not enough space in the oven to present it as a flat pizza. It is delicious and a great accompaniment for olive oil based sauces, cold cuts etc.
If you wish to taste it follow the instructions below.
- 2 cups of 00 flour or bread flour
- 1 tsp of dried active yeast
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 100 gr of grated parmesan
- 50 gr of grater gruyere cheese
- 50 gr of feta cheese
- 150 gr of aubergine, yellow tomato and onion comfit sauce (recipe coming soon)
- 1 tsp of salt
- olive oil
- sunflower oil
- flax seeds
- sesame seeds
- sunflower seeds
- Mix the dried active yeast with the sugar and a small amount of warm water. Place it in a warm place and wait for bubbles to be formed on the top of the mixture. It will take around 15 minutes depending on the room temperature.
- Put the flour in a large bowl, add the active yeast mixture the water, a bit of salt and 2 tbs of olive oil and start mixing. Knead the dough for around 10 minutes or until it is smooth. This dough needs a lot of kneading in order to liberate the gluten and create a beautiful chewy texture.
- Let the dough rise and double in size. That may take an hour or more depending on the room temperature.
- When the dough has doubles in size put some oil in your hands and knead the dough again. Let it rise one more time.
- Knead the dough for a third time, always by adding oil, do not add extra flour.
- Separate the dough in three balls.
- Make a flat surface with every ball and make a large rectangle.
- Place one third of the aubergine comfit sauce,and one third of the cheeses in the rectangle and fold it.
- Place the three balls into a cake pan.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven in 160 C for 1 hour to 1 hour and a half depending on the oven.
- Let your bread cool down.
- It is ready to eat, enjoy 🙂