Whenever I bake this cake I remember Proust and his madeleine. That was my school snack for many years during childhood.
Last week I visited my beloved friend and her family. She gave birth six months ago to the most beautiful baby in the whole world. His name is Gabriel and the name suits him like a glove, he is a little smiling angel.
Meeting Gabriel reminded me of my childhood and in a way I wished that he would discover the odour of warmth and love that accompanied me during my first years in this world. A special though for my mum that has baked this cake hundreds of times and created moments of warmth in her kitchen.
If you wish to enjoy this enchanting cake follow the instructions below.
- 250 gr all purpose flour
- 250 gr sugar
- 250 gr softened butter
- 4 eggs
- a tsp of vanilla extract
- zest from one orange
- 60-100 ml of orange juice
- a tsp baking powder
- Place the butter and the eggs out of the fridge one hour before baking the cake
- Preheat your oven to 180 C
- Grate the orange zest.
- Squeeze the orange to extract the juice
- In a large bowl combine the softened butter with the sugar, the zest and the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs and mix gently.
- Add the baking powder and then little by little add the flour and the orange juice. Avoid to over mix !! The secret of this recipe is to mix the batter the least possible.
- The final version of the mixture will be quite liquid.
Enjoy with a cup of tea 🙂