A few years ago my friend Stephanie has surprised me with the most amazing chocolate cake. She had found the recipe in a French fashion magazine called “Glamour” . I would have never though that such a delight would be in a fashion magazine. The incident has demolished my prejudice regarding the cooking section of fashion magazines. Since then, whenever a restriction is imposed by my own conscious mind I remember the taste of this fondant au chocolat and I reconsider.
Cooking, in a way is an everyday expression of our inner philosophy. I hope you will enjoy this dessert, your kitchen will be infused in a profound chocolate perfume that will wake up your inner child.
- 80 gr of dark chocolate 50% cocoa
- 120 gr of dark chocolate 70% cocoa
- 100 gr unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa
- zest of one orange
- 100 gr granulated sugar
- 1 tbs icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Chop the butter in small cubes. Break the chocolate in small pieces. Mix these ingredients in a glass bowl and let them melt in a bain marie. Mix the ingredients only when thoroughly melted.
- Break the eggs and separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Mix the egg yolks with the sugar and the orange zest.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg whites in order to create a meringue. When soft picks are formed your meringue is ready.
- In a large bowl mix the chocolate and the egg yolk mixture and add the cocoa. Add little by little the meringue.
- Pour the mixture in a 20 cm diameter pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Your fondant will be ready when there is a nice crust on the top but the middle is not thoroughly cooked. If you will put a knife trough the fondant it will come out moist and this is normal.