Raz el hanout is a North African mix of spices mainly used for the preparation of couscous. It can be used for many other dishes. So if you are searching for a warm and exotic flavour to level up your Christmas dishes, raz el hanout is the answer.
It is quite tricky to find it in some parts of the world. Luckily it is very easy to prepare at home. There are as many raz el hanout recipes as there are spice shops. So the following recipe is just one of the many and it is really good.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds.
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes.
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon paprika.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground galangal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Put all the ingredients in a mortar and reduce them to a powder. Your raz el hanout is ready to use. Enjoy 🙂