I love the taste of green beans. I always did, even when I was a child. In Greece green beans are enjoyed slow cooked because they release a sweet nutty taste when they are cooked in low heat for 40-45 minutes.
Ingredients for 4 portions:
- 400 gr green beans
- 4 cloves of garlic
- a large onion chopped in slices
- sesame seeds
- extra virgin Greek olive oil
- Clean and wash your beans
- Put a heavy bottom large pan on high heat and let it burn. Do not add any oil.
- In a large bowl mix the beans with 2 tablespoons of oil, salt, the chopped onion and the whole cloves of garlic.
- When your pan is very hot add the mixture and saute until the beans change colour.
- Turn the fire to low. Add half a cup of water.
- Let your beans simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- When cooked thoroughly turn the fire off and add the sesame seeds and the extra virgin Greek olive oil.
This dish can be enjoyed on its own
It can also be enjoyed as a side dish or a salad.