There is a sweet and bitter roasted pepper sauce that is quite popular in Algeria. I make it every Sunday and I eat a bit of eat everyday during the week.
I got this recipe long time ago from a dear friend that is dear no more. The recipe though stays with me and it is a great accompaniment for variable dishes. It is best enjoyed with bread.
- 500 gr of bell peppers, or corn shaped peppers of all colours, preferably not very fleshy
- extra virgin Greek olive oil
- a small chilli chopped thinly (optional)
- Wash and dry the peppers.
- Insert your finger to each pepper in order to create a whole. Put some salt in it.
- Roast the peppers for 40-50 minutes to 190 C. It is important to slow roast the peppers in order to release their sweet flavour.
- Put the peppers in a plastic bag and let them rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel the peppers and try to discard as many seeds as possible.
- Crash the peppers with a fork.
- Add the chilli if you enjoy spicy food.
- Serve with a generous amount of olive oil.
The sauce can be enjoyed on its own with some bread.
It is also great as accompaniment.