This soup contains a large quantity of Greek extra virgin olive oil. It is an essential ingredient, that gives to this dish its distinctive taste.
If you also enjoy olive oil try this soup 🙂
Ingredients for 4 portions:
- 25o gr dried chickpeas
- 2 l water
- 2 laurier leaves
- 2 small onions thinly sliced
- 1 carrot chopped in stripes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 150 ml extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 ts baking soda
- wedges of lemon for tasting (optional)
- chili for tasting (optional)
- Soak the chickpeas in cold water overnight with 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- The following day drain the chickpeas, put them in a pan, cover with water and boil for 30-40 minutes.
- Drain the chickpeas and discard the boiling water.
- Put the chickpeas in a clean pan with 2 litres of water and add the laurier leaves, the small onions, the carrot in stripes and the cloves of garlic.
- Boil in low fire of 1 hour and a half. Add the olive oil and continue boiling for 30 extra minutes.
It is ready. In Greece this dish is often enjoyed with accompaniments such as pickled fish olive oils and feta cheese.
Since I live in the tropics I may choose more exotic side dishes such as durian.