This is a thick, sweet meat sauce with a lot of vegetables. It represents the same philosophy as a sauce bolognese but some ingredients are different. You can use it for pasta, rice or whatever else you wish. The star ingredient that contributes to the thick texture and the sweetness is the apple.
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 600 gr ground meat (beef, pork, lamb, chicken whichever meat you prefer)
- 2 sliced carrots
- 2 small red onions thinly sliced
- 200 gr of Chinese brocoli ( it can be replaced by kale)
- 1 sliced daikon radish ( its can be replaced by 4-5 turnips)
- 1 apple
- 250 gr sweet cherry tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ts oregano
- 1 ts sweet paprika
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 glass of red wine (preferably Porto or any other red dessert wine)
- 4 tbs cooking oil
- olive oil to serve
- salt and pepper
- Put a large non stick pan on the fire and turn your stove on hight heat. Let the pan get very hot. At this stage do not add anything.
- Once the pan is extremely hot add the cooking oil and the ground meat. Let the meat caramelise and start staring with a wooden spatula. Turn the heat to medium.
- When the meat is thoroughly cooked add the onions and the garlic. There is no need to caramelise the onions, they will melt through the cooking process.
- Add the red wine. Let it evaporate.
- Once the wine has evaporated add the carrots and the daikon.
- Pass the cherry tomatoes and the peeled apple through a blender and blend until you obtain the texture of a smoothie.
- Add this mixture to the pan.
- Add the oregano, paprika, salt, pepper and the bay leaf.
- Turn the heat to low and cook for 50 minutes to 1 hour. There is no need to add extra water in this sauce because there is enough liquid from the vegetables.
- Finally add the Chinese broccoli roughly chopped. Cook for 5-10 more minutes.
It is ready. Enjoy 🙂