I love financiers. And I love Paris. I have discovered this exquisitely decadent buttery dessert during my studies in the city of light. I remember buying a small bag of them from the Kaiser bakery at “rue d’Assas“before going to my morning lectures in the university. I now live far away from Paris but I still enjoy delicious financiers with my afternoon tea.
This recipe is a delight. The only secret is to prepare the mixture 24 hours before baking and let it rest in the fridge. This is it 🙂
Ingredients for a 23 cm cake pan or 6-8 individual financiers :
- 120gr butter
- 120gr icing sugar
- 45 gr flour
- 45gr ground almonds
- 10 gr of honey
- 40 gr (4 cl) of aloe-vera juice (or orange blossom water)
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 3 egg whites
The day before:
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan until it turns into a hazelnut color. Do not burn 😉
- Then filter through a fine sieve and add honey. Keep this mixture on the side.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, the baking powder, the icing sugar and the ground almonds with a whisk.
- Gradually add the egg whites, the honey-butter mixture and finally the aloe-vera juice (or the orange blossom water).
- Keep the final mixture at least 24 hours in the fridge.
The baking day :
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- Pour the mixture into your molds small or large without filling to the top (max 3/4 because it will expand during cooking).
- Bake up to 35 min for the 23 cm cake pan and up to 20 minutes for the individual financiers. You will know that they are cooked when turning into a caramel color.