There are some nights when the moon rises so bright and white that reminds me of white pearls. And white pearls remind me of perfectly steamed grains of sushi rice.
Preparing sushi rice in perfection can be a quite interesting task. I cannot pretend that I master this art but through the years a wonderful recipe appeared in my life and I do my best to honour it.
In order to achieve delightful sushi rice it is recommended to follow these simple steps:
- wash the rice thoroughly and gently until the water comes out transparent
- strain the rice for an hour or more until it is almost dry
- cover the rice in a pocket of paper and let it rest for a whole night in the fridge
- put the rice in a heavy bottomed saucepan and cover it with water
- boil the rice in an open saucepan at high heat until bubbles are formed on the surface
- turn down the heat to the minimum, cover the rice and steam for 13 minutes
- let the rice rest for 10-15 minutes
- transfer to a non metallic bowl
- add the appropriate amount of sushi vinegar salt and sugar
- mix gently
It is done 🙂
Now you can use your rice to prepare maki and inari sushi.